Essential Foods for Maintaining Hormonal Balance
Hormonal imbalance is a common problem faced by the urban population nowadays. Due to excessive pollution, usage of fertilized foods, processed foods & exposure to many radiation hazards on a daily basis leads to severe hormonal imbalances in our body.
Hormonal imbalance is generally displayed in the form of chronic non- communicable diseases like Diabetes Mellitus, Obesity (due to hormone insulin resistance), PCOS & Infertility disorders (due to estrogen hormone imbalance), thyroid problems, Gynecomastia, hair loss, baldness(due to testosterone imbalance) depression, anxiety, skin disorders, etc..
To prevent yourself from these dreadful diseases just swap your unhealthy diet habits to healthy diet habits.
Below are mentioned a few foods that improve your hormonal balance gradually as you make a habit of including them in your daily menu
- GREEN TEA: Green tea contains theanine a natural compound that blocks the release of cortisol, which is mainly termed as stress hormone. Drinking 2-3 cups of green tea daily reduces stress hormone levels and thus keeps you calm and relaxed.
- WALNUTS: Do you know that your sleep pattern is controlled by hormones?? Melatonin is the hormone that promotes better sleep. Any deviations in the hormone can cause sleep disturbances. Walnuts, being a rich source of this hormone helps in sound sleep.
- EGG YOLK: Egg yolk !! Just before you all continue to omit the golden yellow eye hidden inside the white house of nutrients, here’s a NEWS !! Give a break to throwing away the egg yolk (in the notion of its high-fat content) as it is much more nutritious than the egg white. Though egg yolk is high in fat, the fat content in it is, mainly HDL cholesterol, which is normally noted as “GOOD FAT”. Egg yolk is rich in vitamin A and Vitamin D, which are responsible for the synthesis and maintenance of steroid hormones. Egg yolk also is rich in selenium, which helps in the conversion of the inactive form of thyroid hormones into active forms. So, let's relish this healthy food available easily and at an affordable cost in order to keep our reproductive system, thyroid, skin, and hair in perfect condition.
- TULSI: This holistic basil leaf is a miraculous natures gift, which is regaining its limelightJTulsi has tremendous medicinal properties. Cortisol a stress hormone is regulated by Tulsi, which thus helps in relieving anxiety disorders.
- GHEE: Another ancient food,which is being pushed aside due to certain misnomers is GHEE. Ghee contains many short and medium-chain fatty acids. These fatty acids indirectly are the building blocks of reproductive hormones, Vitamin D etc..
- OATS: Oats are enriched with minerals like Zinc, Selenium, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Magnesium, Vitamin E, high protein, high fibre. Oats are known for their high balancing of Insulin hormone which, regulates blood sugar, and also regulates the cholesterol levels thus protects from heart diseases.
- FOODS RICH IN PHYTOESTROGENS: The foods that balance the estrogen levels in our body are generally foods that are good sources of phytoestrogens. Examples are beetroot, carrot beans, garlic, pumpkins, peanut, safflower oil, flax seeds, barley, oats, cherries, pomegranates, apples, etc.. Estrogen is the main hormone that maintains the reproductive system, helps in improving the mood levels, good for bone strength, and also helps in improving the blood circulation. High estrogen causes breast cancer and phytoestrogens helps in balancing the estrogen levels.
- LIVER: The liver is another superfood for hormonal balance. Rich in enzymes, the liver helps in better functioning and metabolism of all the hormones perfectly, thus keeping them in balanced amounts, neither high nor low. So, do include liver at least once a week, in case you are a non-vegetarian, which will help you to keep you in better shape and size J
- COCONUT OIL: Coconut oil and coconut products being rich in medium-chain fatty acids(lauric acid) helps in the production of reproductive hormones in required amounts, thus preventing any menstrual disturbances and improves fertility. The fat in coconut oil helps in improving the thyroid gland function too.
- CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES: Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower helps in the reduction of estrogen and thus prevents the incidence of breast cancer. Include these beautiful floral vegetables once a while in your daily diet, which will fight against tumor cells and protect you against the dreadful silent killer “CANCER” which is nothing but oversecretion of hormones, overgrowth of cells, etc..